I still make new year resolutions. Go ahead, make fun of me- I know it's corny and that no one does it anymore, but I don't care. Every year I try to make changes in my life for the better as part of this whole quest for gracefulness theme I'm doing in my 20s. And the resolutions only help with being a better person.
For example, last year my resolutions were to stop biting my nails, do more yoga and drink more water. I'd say I've been somewhat successful. My nails are human looking about 1/2 of the time, I take a yoga class once a week that I LOVE and I definitely drink more water now that I work in a place with a water cooler. Now, I know that some people may look at my list of accomplishments for 2008 and say that they are superficial and shallow, but look closer people! Bitten nails are unsightly, so really, keeping them nice is for the benefit of everyone who sees my hands, not for me (if I had it my way, I'd bite them as they were growing) The yoga things is admittedly good for the bod, but for me what I really get out of it is the peacefulness. It makes me much less high strung and reduces the probability that I will take my frustrations out on an unsuspecting sole. Waitresses and cashiers around the world rejoice! The water thing... um... ok, maybe that one is selfish and just to make me healthier, but still there is nothing wrong with that.
Now for this year's resolutions:
1. Spend more time with my sister. I've recently realized that we are not as close as we could be, and there's no need for it to stay that way.
2. Learn how to say no to people. Sometimes I go for the pleasing everyone route over doing what I need to do for my sanity. Not a good pattern of behavior to develop.
3. Be nicer to strangers, included but not limited to : waitstaff, cashiers, customer service staff and the people who run fitting rooms. It's kinda a problem I have....
4. Learn how to juggle. Because everyone needs a useless skill.
Hopefully this will encourage some of my friends to make resolutions of their own. If you need help coming up with them, I'm ready to help. For example I'd tell my sister she should stop burping without saying excuse me . (!!) it would make the world a nicer place. And as for me, suggestions anyone has for for additional resolutions I should undertake are welcome.
love
14 years ago
2 comments:
When I was in HS in my computer class we had an assignment. Learn to juggle. Computer class you say? yes... see the point was to break it down to its steps... HOW do you actually juggle? What are the steps? You toss a ball up. Then what? When do you toss the 2nd ball? etc etc etc...
Well suffice to say I know HOW to juggle now... but I still can't.
3 of these resolutions are great.
Post a Comment