Monday, November 9, 2009

Sabotage at the Supermarket

I want to be thin and healthy. I do, I really do. And I try- I go to the gym, I take my vitamins, I try to stay on the whole grain train (except when it comes to pizza crust because let's be honest, if you're eating greasy yummy pizza does the carb count in the crust really make you feel better about it? That dripping you feel coming down your chin is grease, not soy milk so just eat the regular crust!)
Anyways, so today I did really good all day- I avoided the left over Halloween candy that seems to be everywhere at work, I brought healthy home made soup for lunch, and we had a dinner of lowfat turkey tacos planned and a gym trip scheduled. Miss Healthy right? But then, THEN, I had to stop at the store on the way home to get lettuce for the tacos, and on the way to the cash register I walked down the frozen section, and there it was- Apple Pie Ice Cream. It was like in the movies where the angels start to sing and the spotlight hits the ice cream, I swear I stopped dead in my tracks. Some GENIUS took apple pie ala mode and packaged it together. And it was on sale!!
Immediately the internal debate began- to get it or not to get it. I cursed Stop and Shop for putting it on sale and got frustrated at my husband for not getting lettuce when he was at the store earlier (and if anyone is wondering why I didn't blame myself for walking down the ice cream aisle in the first place let me just say that the ice cream aisle to me is like window shopping for some women, sometimes you just want to look)
I had finally made up my mind to just WALK AWAY and was mental reaching up to pat myself on the back when i saw two little words on the ice cream package: Limited Edition. I froze. Great, just great. Who knows if it will be here next week? What if I miss it? But do I really NEED ice cream? and on and on the debate raged.

I did make it out of the store, eventually. And as I sit here typing, ice cream laden spoon in hand I have to say : Well played Breyers, well played.

No comments: