Monday, January 5, 2009

Germ War Update

So there's good news and not so good news (but not BAD news, hence why I didn't just say good news/bad news)

Good News:
I used my fancy new health insurance and went to the doctor today. Sidebar- my new Doctor kicks ass- he's really smart and was great at treating me like an intelligent person and explaining things and if I ever got seriously sick I think he's actually try to help, so, score!

More good news is that I'm not contagious (awesome because I was worried about making my coworkers sick) that I'm feeling a lot better and I'll be able to go to work tomorrow and definitely go dress shopping this weekend.

Not so good but not bad news:
I have bronchitis( no surprise since I get it like twice a year) and I have to use an inhaler because I'm not getting enough air into my lungs.He said it has something to do with what's going on with my throat and nose, because I guess I'm not supposed to have shortness of breath at my age, but hopefully this will help. So now I'm that nerdy girl with an inhaler.

More good news:
Having insurance rocks when a $135 inhaler costs $6 beans. I cringe to think what a fiasco this would have been if I still didn't have insurance. In fact, that was the highlight of my day- when I realized that I didn't have to suffer and I could actually GO to the doctor instead of consulting WebMD and crossing my fingers.

Some potentially bad news:
Bronchitis can sometimes get worse before it gets better, but hopefully the inhaler will head it off. For the moment I feel pretty good though so here's hoping!

Actual Bad News:
I have to get blood work done so he can test me for allergies. And I don't like needles, so we'll see how long I can drag me feet on this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It strikes me that there is a very real possibility that the reason this is the first time that you've been treated like an intelligent person by a doctor is that this is the first time the doctor was answering to you, rather than your parent. Oh the pitfalls of youth.

"In fact, that was the highlight of my day- when I realized that I didn't have to suffer and I could actually GO to the doctor instead of consulting WebMD and crossing my fingers." This made me laugh. yeah, good times. My situation was slightly more tenuous, however. you functioned as my doctor/diagnoser for a good 1.5year period of my life. so everything was always something akin to secondhand finger-crossing.

i don't believe that you're not contagious. just fyi.

Anonymous said...

Megan M., Witchdoctor Emeritus.

Shannon said...

HAHA I love Brad's comment... I think its Brad anyways... quite entertaining!
I am glad to hear you are getting better and totally know what you mean about being happy you have insurance and can actually go to the doctors now (reminds me of the episode of friends where Joey doesnt have insurance lol)
I am sorry you have to get blood work done and I feel your pain when it comes to needles. In fact I had to get a shot yesterday and it was not even a little bit fun. At least when you were a kid you got a sticker or a lollypop or something good... this time I just got to pay my co-pay and leave... not fun!