Friday, November 14, 2008

Nom Nom Nom

Sorry for the delay between posts, but work has been very hectic lately so posting has been impossible.

You know what I HATE? I hate it when desserts don't live up to their expectations. Like when you go to the store and you see this cake that looks so gooey and covered in sweet frosting, and then when you eat it the frosting is just that cheap whipped cream stuff that tasted like sugared nothing. It happens most often to me with supermarket bakery stuff. It looks good, and I should know better by now, but every now and then I fall for the trick of how it looks and I buy it hoping the quality has improved and it has not.Shame on me.
Or when you go to a restaurant and the picture of the dessert looks life changing, and then you order it and not only does the actual dish looks nothing like what's in front of you, but it tastes just so-so and you've been charged $6.95 for it.
The obvious answer I know is to just bake the yummy things myself and then I know it will be good because I'm a great baker (yes mom, I know I leave the kitchen a mess, but the FOOD tastes great and that's the real point). But if I take the time to bake it, I have all that time to think about how unhealthy the goodies are, and that can sometimes give me Eater's Guilt when munching, which is no fun. I prefer my chocolate brownies to be full fat and low guilt (actually in a dream world I'd prefer them to be full taste, no fat, no guilt, but you get what I mean).
But what's even worse than ordering or buying a bad dessert is planning on a certain dessert and then being disappointed. That is hands down the WORST. You've had hours and hours to build up this image of sugar heaven in you head and with one bite- deflated.
Case in point- last night Kyle and I went out to dinner at this place that advertised Godiva tiramisu. I'll pause here to let that image sink in. GODIVA. It's the Holy Grail of chocolate. We picked this place last week (part of the New Haven Restaurant week deal) and we've been talking about the upcoming desert ever since. Frankly, I think I was more excited for the dessert than dinner itself. Although the calamari was really good.... But really I wanted that dessert.
And when it came, it was a major let down. Mostly a mound of whipped cream with a trickle of chocolate sauce over the top and 5 bites of cake underneath with 2 dry ladyfingers on the side. It tasted mainly of almond flavoring and whipped cream. No chocolate wonderland here :(
I should explain something. While I talk about food a lot, I'm not a fatty. We eat pretty healthy during the week and try to let ourselves have 1 "bad meal" with dessert a week. That's why I get so upset over dessert, because I have a whole 6 days to fantasize about what I'm going to eat, so it stinks when it doesn't live up to my expectations.
And that's why tonight I'm taking a stand. Ky and I were dying for this dessert, and we just weren't satisfied, so tonight I'm breaking my once a week rule and my not making dessert rule and I'm going to make tiramisu at home. Out of Twinkies. It's going to be awesome. At least it better be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bastards!

Shannon said...

I want twinkie tiramisu!!! You better save me a piece!