I wanted a nice wedding band. Not something too flashy, or too wide. I wanted to to complement my engagement ring, but not compete with it. So I went searching. I looked online for days, dragged Kyle into every single jewelry store we passed, and ogled the rings of every woman I saw for inspiration. (Some of them gave we weird looks like I was going to mug) I decided I wanted a white gold channel set diamond band that was 3mm or less to match my ring. (for any male readers, I'm sure that last sentence made your eyes glaze over so : Football, Bikini, Tacos, Britney Spears. There, that should bring your focus back)
I finally found my dream ring at Walmart. I had serious reservations about getting it because, well, it's Walmart. I love them for things like cat litter and cough medicine, but do I really trust them with the piece of jewelry that I will wear for the next 70 years? Plus, wedding magazines make it seem like your marriage will instantly disintegrate if your ring doesn't cost the same as a mortgage payment. But this ring was exactly what I wanted, so I decided to throw caution to the wind, cross my fingers and order it. Kyle was really excited for me. I want to pretend that was because we were getting this symbol of undying love, but I think he was just excited that we were still going to have money for groceries after buying it.
They said the ring would be in on the 1st, but I never heard from them. We happened to be there last night (I needed pantyhose and didn't feel like doing laundry) and we decided to stop in and check on the status of my ring. Low and behold, it was in, but they didn't call me because my cell phone is out of area code and "Walmart won't pay for a long distance call". Which gave me slight pause because 1- Then how would I ever know when it was ready? and 2- If that is the policy shouldn't the workers be trained when they take a contact number to make sure it's local?
But I didn't let it get me down. After all, I was going to see my WEDDING RING! This was it! I got ready to be dazzled and slide the ring on my finger. And frowned. It fit like a dream, but when they resized it, the thinner, "custom fit" area that should be directly underneath the top diamonds on the ring is off to the side. Because this thinner area is naturally supposed to rest on the underneath of your finger it makes the whole band rotate so that the band is off center and the diamond part is sliding down the side of my finger. And when I try to put it the right way, it fights me and slides back sideways.
I tried to politely point all of this out to the lady behind the counter. I say tried because I have just a teeny tiny bit of an attitude issue towards working people sometimes. I SWEAR I don't mean to be rude, I really don't realize that I'm doing it, it just comes across as snotty. My friends yell at me about it in restaurants, Kyle tells me to behave myself, my Mom hisses at me to cut it out... only Lauren doesn't say anything I think it's because she has the same attitude as I do. Basically I'm a type A personality and I have no tolerance for other people's stupidity. But I'm working on it. I do yoga on Wednesdays to calm me. I take deep yoga breathes when I feel stressed out. Om, Namaste and all that good stuff.
But anyway, my point is that I tried really hard to be nice ans sweet to the lady behind the counter. She didn't care. She just said "I can't do anything" like 9 times. So then I asked her what my options were she told me to talk to the department manager, who was not there on weekends or after 4 pm.
So I took a deep breathe, walked away and called this morning at 8:52 . It took Walmart almost 40 rings to answer the main number.I did 5 Om breathes while waiting. I was transferred to jewelry by a snotty woman, where the phone rang and rang and after 50 rings no one picked up. 13 Oms. I hung up, had an internal scream at the number of cell phone minutes I was wasting, took another calming yoga breathe and called the main number again. This time they picked up after 10 rings and a nicer sounding women told me the department manager was in a meeting and could I please call back in 20 minutes. I was happy to finally get some information, and that my Oms and positive energy seemed to be paying off.
Kyle quickly killed me joy by telling me the department manager probably wasn't even there and they were likely lying to me. I retaliated by ignoring him while doing a pretend yoga mediation.
I called back 1/2 hour later armed with my nicest manners and aligned chakras. I talked to the department manager who sounded very nice. I explained the problem to her, and she said she would look at the ring and have ir sent back out for repair if need be and would call me this afternoon and let me know what was happening. I hung up pleased and proud of myself for not losing my cool. Namaste to me!
And then I had to call her back to give her a local number so that she could actually call me.
love
14 years ago
1 comment:
Eons ago when we got married we looked and looked and looked everywhere for a ring... finally we found one... online... now mind you this was 1996. Not a whole lot online back then. I think we were like his first internet customer...
anyways... I love it still.
http://www.walkermetalsmiths.com/R1.html
That's my ring... It's Josephine's Knot or the Lover's knot...
Post a Comment