Wednesday, November 5, 2008

For the Record

I'm getting sworn in on Friday. For all you non-law people, that will be the official, "I am now a lawyer" moment. The 3 years of never seeing my friends, the insane student loans, the neck aches from carrying 94 lbs of books, learning the federal tax code, my crazy intership experiences, the entire wasted summer of studying and that hellish Bar Exam have all lead up to this Friday.
I know that it's a honor to be admitted to the Bar. That I should be humble about this. In fact, the Rules of Professional Conduct basically tell us to not be bigheaded. Really, they do. I can summarize the Rules in 3 points:
1. Don't steal money from your clients.
2- Don't lie to the Court.
3*- Don't be a jerk.
I get all that. And I try really hard to be a graceful person. It's one of my life goals. That and meeting Matt Damon. I know I should just smile and nod, and downplay the whole swearing in thing. I know I should be modest. But I don't want to.
I have literally poured my blood (papercuts), sweat (hiking the hill up to the law school) and tears (Margulies's Con law class) into this moment. I've sacrificed for this, I've worked my tail off for it. So I don't want to be polite and gracious. I want to stand up there and when they announce me as an attorney yell "RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!" like Cartman. I want to strut into Walmart and when the checkout people are rude to me say," DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" I want to have people treat me nicely because they're afraid of being sued. I want the power.
But they take away your liscence to practice for being a jerk like that.Not Good. So nice and polite and modest it will be. It's a little like being Frodo in Lord Of The Ring. You've got this insanely powerful object, you really really want to use it, but you know you shouldn't. Well, if a little Hobbit can be strongand resist, so can I.
But if you ever see me muttering "my precious...." under my breathe, now you'll know why.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coolie... you're my 2nd lawyer friend...

Lauren Hollywood said...

i want to write funny blogs tooooooooo!

Shannon said...

You are just TOO MUCH! OMG I am rolling on the floor! Okay Im not going to lie, I am sitting at my desk looking like a good receptionist but I am cracking up inside. I wish I could be there friday and I would yell for you! Just think of me yelling GO MEGAN, YOU ROCK, WE LOVE MEGAN!!!! LOL. I am so proud of you and you should be too! Enjoy it girlfriend!!!

Shannon said...

TODAY IS THE DAY!!! YIPEEEEE!