Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fitting In

My readers (and by “my readers I mean my 3 friends who visit my blog when they’re bored) may be wondering why I decided to start blogging. That’s simple. This is the first September in 17 years that I’m not in school and I miss not having assignments, so this helps fill that void. Also, it helps me keep my mind off the looming bar results (next Friday) by giving me something else to focus on. That’s the stock, what-I-would-tell-people-who-I-don’t-know-well-enough-to-be-honest-answer.
The real reason has nothing to do with boredom prevention and everything to do with Shannon. But not in a purely “Shannon had a blog first so I decided to copy her like a 12 year old girl who wears black nail polish because ‘Miley Cyrus does too!’ ” I met Shannon my senior year in College. She was rushing my sorority and I desperately wanted her to join. She was fun, laid back, and really pretty. We joke around that I’m her big sister in our hearts (it’s ok, Jen will never read this). As a big sister you teach your little sister all about Greek life. Well maybe I did, but Shannon taught me about real life.
I spent most of my middle school and high school years trying to fit in by suppressing parts of myself. Don’t pull out the tissues, this is not an after school special- I had a great time in school with great friends & memories. But along the way I lost little pieces of myself to fit in. I hid the fact that I love to read (because it’s nerdy) I stopped wearing flats and started wearing heels (because you can’t go on a date in sneakers!) I wore contacts and makeup every singe day and I bought ridiculously expensive clothes from Abercrombie because that was what all the coolest kids wanted to wear. Enter Shannon.
I’ve been friends with Shannon for 4 years now and along the way she’s shown me the power in being yourself and not apologizing for it. Shannon’s obsessed with scrapbooking, not obsessed with doing dishes, listens to country music, is religious, loves Pearl Jam, gets queasy at the thought of sharing anything dairy, and reads Nicholas Sparks books. She refuses to wear short skirts or dye her hair and is such a bargain hunter that I’ve seen her analyze the value meal versus the dollar menu at McDonalds to find the better deal. I’ve benefited from these traits literally (she got me an extra $50 off my wedding dress!) but also in that it’s given me the courage to flaunt my hobbies too. I take my knitting to work, talk about every book I read, don’t hide the fact that I like to eat healthy and if I don’t feel like putting on makeup or wearing my contacts, I don’t.
Shannon’s also the only person I know who doesn’t view graduation from college as the finishing line in choosing a career. She takes photography classes (she’s GREAT- she’s shooting my wedding, check out her blog for photos!) She’s even applying to go back to school to get her teaching certificate. She’s not letting just one role define her and I really admire that. It’s inspired me to realize that even if I don’t pass the bar, there are other things I could do, things that I want to do. Like open a bakery. Become a wedding crafter. Or write.

So in sum, Shannon has shown me the value in being comfortable with myself. (thanks Chica). The funny part is, Cosmo just did an entire article on the same thing, so now we’re cool without even trying.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I heart my Megan! You are too cute! What the readers dont know (Megans other two friends lol) is that I got muy jealous of the post about too cool for school Lauren and told Megan she had to come up with a fun post about me! I figured it would be something along the lines of...
Shannon is a spoiled brat and a big pain in my butt, there Shannon, now I posted about you!
But it was actually super cute! Meg you rock my socks off!!!

Shannon said...

Oh and I do have one issue with your post... not obsessed with doing dishes... what the heck is that supposed to mean? Are you saying I am a big fat slob? Dont worry, totally kidding, I know I am a slob, and I am glad you still love me for it!!! :)

Oh and PS. I have gotten much better over the years with sharing my dairy products. I think this is probably from Elyse trying to steal my food and I have been forced to get over it or throw out my ice cream and frankly... I am a fatty so of course I am not going to throw out my ice cream lol :)