What a whirlwind of a weekend. I found out that I passed the bar exam, drove the cat to my Mom's, cleaned up sick-on-himself cat, pestered my sister into going to the store, made brownies, drove back home, packed up the car and drove to Rochester. That was just Friday! We spent the weekend with Kyle's family and I had a great time. I went to my future sister in law's baby shower, to church with his mom and sister and our nephews, pumpkin picking, out to eat with his dad and stepmom and Grams. It was good times.
Some highlights: Getting to see Kyle's elementary school, church, and his playground.
His 3 year old nephew yelling, "Draw his Boobies!" during Church
Linda's chocolate chip cookies.
Funny story from the trip- Kyle's very active and healthy 82 year old grandma picked the place where we were going to eat Saturday night. No one had been there before, but she was planning to go to lunch there with her bridge group so she wanted to try it. It's called Tastology and Kyle and I were excited because they brag about the fact that everything on the menu is 500 calories or less. We thought this would be great- we'd get to eat some really yummy but healthy food. The decor was sleek, it reminded me of IKEA- all the walls were painted a different color, lots of tall green shoots and light colored wood. Some of our party were a bit miffed that the silverware was laid directly on the table, but I was open to new ideas.
So we order, and we all ordered the same thing- the stuffed chicken (this should have clued us in, when 6 people all find just one thing on the menu appetizing, it's probably not a good sign). The salads came out first. A teacup sized bowl with a few lettuce leafs and a drizzle of dressing. They looked tiny and sad, but Kyle and I had ordered soup instead. The soup was sweet potato with orange juice and a drizzle of yogurt. It was yummy, but small. But things were still hopeful. We all thought maybe the place was just modern so the portions sizes were small, but the food quality would be great.
But then the chicken arrived. 1/2 of a plain boiled red potato mushed up, 3 spears of cold asparagus and 4 round pieces of chicken with about a half of a spinach leaf each in the center. The chicken was so dry you could see wrinkles on the outside. It got really really quiet at the table. Within minutes everyone's plate was completely clean (except for mine, because on my first bite of chicken I encountered a hard, unidentifiable black thing and it made me give the other 3 pieces of chicken to Kyle). Kyle's Grandma, bless her, kept saying how yummy it was and how big the portions were. No one wanted to ruin her mood so we pretended to agree. Oh, and did I mention there was a political fundraiser going on with live guitar music so to hear each other talk we had to yell? Yeah, not the best times.I could tell his Dad was mad about it, but they're rally polite people so no one said anything- had we been out with my family there I think it may have ended differently. As we left I could see Cheesecake Factory across the street and I swear the moment I saw it my stomach started grumbling.
When we got home, Kyle and I made an excuse to leave and went out to get actual food (cheesecake, obviously :) So the moral of the story kids, is that you CAN get a meal out for under 500 calories, just don't expect to be full afterwards.
love
14 years ago
1 comment:
we didn't go to Cheesecake. We went to Perkins for cake, silly. You had chocolate layer cake and a coffee. I had pumpkin pie and hot cocoa.
Post a Comment